- Rian Johnson told Business Insider what it feels like to see little Yoda face to face when he attended the Mandalorian TV series.
- But the director of The Last Jedi remains a mom if the movie Star Wars, due out in 2022, is one of his planned new trilogies: "I Have No News."
Visit the Business Insider homepage for more information.
Long before we all saw the cute little Yoda on the Disney Plus TV series The Mandalorian, The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson already came across this face to face.
One of the benefits of creating the movie Star Wars is its huge access. And for Johnson, this meant visiting the filming of Mandalorian during the first season.
Along with a conversation with show creator / executive producer John Favreau and fellow executive producer Dave Filoni, he also had to check out the puppet that became his star.
“On the set, I saw little Yoda,” he told Business Insider, promoting his new film “Knives” (in theaters on November 27), adding that he was waiting for the show to be released to finally shed that modest boast.
“It is so beautiful,” he said of the creature.
Johnson admitted that since he was promoting Knives Out, he still had no opportunity to watch a single show. But he added that while on the set of Mandalorian, his work continued what he could do next in the Star Wars saga.
“It’s like when you’re a child and you don’t have toys, it’s true, but life-size,” Johnson said. “It was impossible not to think about things. It is inspiring. It's creatively invigorating to be in the middle of it. ”
But how exactly Johnson is involved in Star Wars is not yet clear.
After The Last Jedi, it was announced that he would begin to create a completely new trilogy for the franchise, but since then there have been many breakdowns with the franchise.
Disney CEO Bob Iger told the BBC that in the future there will be a less-than-more path for movies, as in the past, “we shot and released too many Star Wars films in a short period of time.” This came after a disappointing reaction to Solo: A Star Story in 2018. Then, at the end of October, the creators of Game of Thrones, David Benioff and DB Weiss has stepped out of his planned Star Wars trilogy. (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker opens on December 20 and ends the Skywalker saga.)
Johnson seems to be still standing, but says nothing. When asked if the Star Wars movie Disney planned for 2022 was one of his, he told Business Insider, “You will have to wait until they announce everything that they are about to announce. I have not received any updates. "
On Wednesday, The Hollywood Reporter reported with reference to the "source" that the film, scheduled for 2022, is not one of Johnson's projects.
THR also reported that in the future, along with Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy, who oversees things, Mandalorian executive producers Favreau and Filoni will also have something to tell about the future of the franchise.
Johnson said that during his trip to the Mandalorian set, outside Yoda, it was very important how Filoni got stuck in the Star Wars mythology.
“Filoni got the soul of Star Wars,” Johnson said. "He has the heart of it."