– You are a painful doctor, but your little patients forget about the pain in the first minutes of your counseling. Your love for your job says that our children are not respected, although health statistics say differently?
– The statistics are based on the figures that we have in Lithuania in terms of childhood diseases, indeed more than in Western countries. This is primarily due to the fact that our children suffer more than residents of the West. Maybe our children are more active, but the most important cause of injury is, I think, there is insufficient injury prevention. In the end, we just recently began to wear a jersey, put on a helmet, before riding a bicycle, wearing a helmet and protecting them from rollerblading. If a kindergarten or school is not near a high street, you do not need to go through it, and there will be fewer injuries. If the water body is closed, the child will not sink. In general, if children are carefully cared for, they will receive less injuries. Why do we carry such small children who so often do not walk? Due to insufficient caution. If there is a lock on the tablecloth, the child will not stop it and will not miss a hot drink. If parents are obliged not to leave children under the age of twelve only at home, they will not pass through the balcony, otherwise there will be no other disasters.
– How to preserve and strengthen the health of children?
– The main condition determining the health of our children and ours is a way of life. Children have more time to spend in the fresh air, to be physically active daily for at least one hour a day with moderate or intense exercise, paying more attention to food quality, spending less time on the phone, computer, and other smart devices. Neglecting a healthy lifestyle causes not only the skeletal and muscular systems, but also vision, respiratory diseases, diabetes, and overweight.
If there is a lock on the tablecloth, the child will not stop it and will not miss a hot drink.
– You treat orthopedic diseases. Why do they have children?
– The causes of all and not all orthopedic diseases are still far from research. It is known that some diseases, even endocrine diseases, are genetic, congenital. Some of them are caused by various neurological problems, infectious diseases predominate in the child or mother during pregnancy. These are the main causes of congenital or acquired orthopedic diseases that cause disability.
– The most commonly diagnosed orthodontic disease in children is scoliosis?
– Posture disorders are often diagnosed, not scoliosis. These are very different problems. Scoliosis is a rare disease with 0.5% of the disease. all children. The spinal cord does not fail due to incorrect posture.
“But she cursed every other child?”
– It is not true. Stomach disorders are associated with age, physiological. We evaluate the stent at certain stages: a newborn, one, two, three, etc., until the bones mature.
Irregular posture can be innate when grandfather, son and grandson – all three equally heave. This is determined by the inherited constitutional type. The pose can always be corrected with the help of therapeutic exercises, swimming in the pool, increasing physical activity, increasing self-control.
– What problems do you face without doing this?
– Regular irregular posture can lead to muscle fatigue, spastic pain and flying years in old age. It is important to keep fit. It also serves for furniture, the appropriate height of the child. However, posture is an individual trait.
Trainers, in order to get the best results, push children like lemons, and the mode of loading and rehabilitation is not suitable.
– So, this is not the biggest health problem?
– The most difficult are those patients who have a condition associated with survival. The greatest risk is multiple injuries, oncological diseases, acute infections. These diseases affect bones, joints and soft tissues. The causes may be genetic, the infection may develop after injury due to contamination of the blood, streptococcus or other bacteria, dangerous viruses. These infectious diseases can damage bone joints very quickly, otherwise they become complicated.
– And now more and more children are becoming more typical of adult diseases?
– At present, young people under the age of eighteen are in the category of children, so you can wear joints. This usually affects professional athletes.
In the past, there were two categories of patients: children and adults. Now the third – there are athletes. Sports teens are already teenagers. How to treat them? This is a difficult question, a dilemma. Athletes experience stress fractures. Stress, overload, aggravation of the child are psychologically detrimental. Trainers, to get the best out of the game, press the kids like lemons, while the exercise and rehabilitation mode is not suitable. For sports children, as well as for professionals in the field of safety, exercise, nutrition and medical services should be adjusted. Children of sport represent school, district, city, Lithuania and who represents their health?
– Sport and health are no longer synonymous?
– Medical science works wonders. In pediatric orthopedics and traumatology too?
– Science is always on the way, as in orthopedics, and in other areas. There are no special innovations in children's orthopedics, but we are glad to use a nail, plates of a new design. All of this is made of higher quality metal that is less allergenic and does not cause rejection. There are certain methods for restoring joint surfaces, and vacuum systems help heal wounds faster.
University hospitals strive to have everything that is the latest and most perfect. The treatment in the clinics of Kaunas and Vilnius meets the standards of the western hospital. This may not be enough for more rare cases, somewhat detrimental to an inert financial system, lengthy public procurement tenders, but in general Lithuanian medicine is moving in the right direction with the most advanced countries in the world. It also shows the number of people who want to study medicine in our country, because it is a high level, recognized and appreciated throughout the world.
– Appreciated? Do you think that the work of you and your colleagues is appreciated enough?
– Wages are one more thing. Yes, this is an assessment, and that it is adequate, which is achieved by the Lithuanian Medical Association, long-term agreements on salary increase have been concluded, a branch agreement has been signed. The state seeks to raise the salaries of doctors, and it is important that doctors survive one-time and attend the conference in order to leave the seminar for further development. You do not need to run from one job to another. No one wants to go to a well-trained doctor. As for remuneration for work, I do not want to overestimate doctors, but we need to focus on how this happens in the world. Everywhere education and medicine are priority areas, and unskilled workers often earn more than doctors.
– Do you run from one job to another?
– There is a saying: "Make your hobby, and you never have to work." It may not be an ethical job for a doctor to call a hobby, but, laughing, I dare say that. So I am running.
No one wants to go to a well-trained doctor. As for remuneration for work, I do not want to overestimate doctors, but we need to focus on how this happens in the world.
– Do you think that education and medicine will be evaluated in Lithuania?
– I am an optimist, we cry too much with us. I see that everything is moving forward, everything is getting better. Look how it was and do not want to go back. In the end, we just head the post-Soviet society. A patient cannot recover if he has been artificially protected for two to three generations for 50 years. Our generation has done a lot by replacing what seems indispensable. It would be very desirable to believe that today's young generation, which began from each other by itself, will lead others by personal example and excellent good deeds and thereby change the face of the despised Lithuania. Many of my students, like my daughters, are really different, they think differently.
When you ask me how I live, I always say that I live well. I am basically an optimist.
“Have you ever thought about emigration?”
Not. Here we need to build Lithuania. Yes, I am a patriot. Do you know what the formula of happiness is? When you want to go from work to home, and from home to work. Work and family are two main things: the family is the most important, without its support, it does not achieve victories either in science or at work.
– What was your topic in scientific work?
– The tactics of treatment of hematopoietic superficial cracks is a new method of fixing these fists. It is safer for neurological complications.
– You wanted to be a professor?
“A bad soldier who does not want to be a general.” If you go to the world of science, you do not need to sit down, you are naturally looking for something higher, more. And when you reach, you have learned a lot, matured as a doctor, there is a desire to share this experience. Working at a university hospital, students can do this.
“You're not the only family doctor?”
“My wife is a public health specialist; now she is studying at the University of Vytautas Magnus.” One of her daughters is a student at the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, the oldest open sweet non-medical activity in the United Kingdom. By the way, my only aunt, a doctor, who, perhaps, indirectly, but also influenced my choice in my personal example.
– Do patients and patients often speak at home?
– Efforts should be made to increase resilience to these topics when the work is completed. If you think about patients every day and every day – it will be bad. In some western countries, after five six weeks of intensive work, it is proposed to rest for a week. Find a place where you can’t think about work. Not so much physical as psychological rest.
– Did you find this place?
– Yes, in the most beautiful corner of Neringa, Pervalka, where we try to spend time with the family for the whole time of work without any seasons. There we can realize other hobbies: mushrooms, amber, long walks along the embankment, meeting with friends.