Monday , September 23 2019
Home / chile / Abuse in the church: “strange” public that stopped Ezzati's dismissal | National

Abuse in the church: “strange” public that stopped Ezzati's dismissal | National



It was a large audience in Santiago’s thirteenth guarantee court, which reviewed the final dismissal of Cardinal Ricardo Ezzati, accused of concealing Oscar Munoz Toledo, the former chancellor of the Archdiocese of Santiago.

Several predecessors were represented at the hearings, some of which were also related to the case of Jorge Laplan, which is related to the case of Munoz and others during the investigation of the prosecutor's office.

From the outset, lawyer Ezzati Hugo Rivera accused of ideologizing this case and stated that his representative was used by the prosecutor's office for communication purposes. “The thesis of the prosecution is to ideologize this investigation. The case of the natural residence tribunals was deducted, and all media destruction began with Ricardo Ezzati. When he was called only as an accused, it all started. Until some fun in his personal home and with bills that seek to deprive him of his citizenship, ”he said.

“I am very glad that you were not fired because you do not deserve it. This is a criminal whose hands are involved not only in one case, but in several. I hope one of them will be in prison soon. "

– Juan Carlos Cruz, the victim of Fernando Karadim.

In one of his speeches, Attorney Emiliano Arias explained that the imputation of Ezzati as a cover-up relates not only to the Muñoz and Lapanya case, but also to a number of cases known as a result of the raids, and among them he mentioned an internal violation of a metropolitan cathedral that was not investigated when Ezzati was in charge of the archdiocese. "There are serious and gross defaults of Mr. Ezzati," he said.

Although he admitted that it was a distorted investigation – and even if it could be weak – Judge Eduardo Gallardo said that the murder of the investigation, which is still open, would be expected. Therefore, “in the present state, I will reject the request for the resignation of Mr. Ezzati in this investigation.”

Strange audience

After the ruling, the lawyer of the religious leader Hugo Rivera questioned the magistrate’s arguments and assured that they would go to the Court of Appeal to cancel the decision. Therefore, until this is decided, Ezzati will not make statements to the prosecutor's office. “It cannot remain in force, because the theory supported by the magistrate is very dangerous, (from which) the person must be formalized to demand a final dismissal. Imagine, an innocent person should always be framed with all the consequences, ”said Rivera.

Meanwhile, prosecutor Emiliano Arias praised the decision of the judge and said that the cardinal was trying not to conduct an investigation. “So far there is no reason to proceed with the formalization,” admitted the persecutor, but “what is intended here is not subject to investigation.” This is unimaginable. That's why this audience is so weird, "he said.

He also appreciated the decision of Juan Carlos Cruz, informer Fernando Karadim and one of those who accuse Ezzati of concealing. “I am very glad that you were not fired because you do not deserve it. This is a criminal whose hands are involved not only in one case, but in several. I hope that one of them will soon be in prison, ”he admitted.

Sebastian Brogka | UN agency
Sebastian Brogka | UN agency

Munoz continues his night arrest

The situation in Ezzati was the second issue that was resolved by the court, as it first considered the precautions of the former chancellor of the archbishopric Oscar Muñoz Toledo. His defense asked to cancel the night house arrest, which he now performs, while the public prosecutor asked to return to the preventive prison, which he kept in the first months of interrogation.

However, Judge Gallardo decided to keep him under house arrest at night, from 10:00 to 18:00, but added national roots and the prohibition to approach the victims.

It was the decision of the justice of the peace, the moment when Munoz Toledo was convicted by the relatives of the victims, and the words of his lawyer Gabriel Enriquez.

https://media.biobiochile.cl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1999824720.mp3

Despite the result, the prosecutor's office announced that it would appeal the precautionary measures over the next five legal days in order to try again to return her to preliminary detention.


Source link