Monday , November 18 2019
Home / canada / NE LHIN urges action to prevent the spread of flu

NE LHIN urges action to prevent the spread of flu

Dr. Paul Preston, vice president of the Northeast Local Area Health Care Integration Clinic, and Jeremy Stevenson, director general of NE LHIN, are urging members of the public to take steps to provide flu protection by influenza vaccination.

Attached photo

Supplied by

Despite the fact that this is the height of the flu season, it is not too late to get a flu shot.

This message is transmitted by the Northeast Local Health Network.

“I know that a flu shot is one of the best ways to prevent the flu and to help keep ourselves and the people around us healthy,” said Jeremy Stephenson, executive director of NE LHIN.

Dr. Paul Preston, vice president of clinical research at NE LHIN, agreed.

“Anyone can get the flu; vaccination is a safe and free way to avoid getting infected and spreading the virus, ”he said.

In a release released by NE LHIN, the organization suggested: “Everyone who is older than six months is recommended to receive the vaccine, and this may be especially important for people who are at high risk for complications that can lead to pneumonia or hospitalization for the flu. These include young children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with underlying illnesses.

“Flu or flu is an infectious respiratory infection caused by a virus. Symptoms may include fever, cough, sore throat and body aches. In Canada, this usually occurs in the late fall and winter months. It is estimated that the flu causes more than 12,000 hospitalizations and 3,500 deaths in Canada each year.

"It is better to get a flu shot sooner than later, since it takes two weeks for the body to establish an immune response to the vaccine."

Flu vaccinations are free and available through primary care providers, local public health authorities, participating pharmacies and health clinics in the workplace. Children from six months to four years of age can only be vaccinated at the primary health care office or at the local public health office.

Source link