Tuesday , October 22 2019
Home / canada / LIVE UPDATES: The officer had to order other police officers away from the Oland crime scene, court proceedings

LIVE UPDATES: The officer had to order other police officers away from the Oland crime scene, court proceedings

Chris Morris, Canadian Press

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2018 12:45 PM EST

Updated Friday, November 30, 2018 13:41 EST

SAINT JOHN, N.B. – The beaten-up body of multimillionaire Richard Oland attracted unwanted attention from several St. John police officers who visited this scene just to see the Dennis Oland murder trial announced Friday.

“I strictly ordered them to leave my crime scene,” Sergeant. Mark Smith said he described the discovery of two unauthorized officers near the body on the day he was discovered on July 7, 2011.

Smith was the officer responsible for collecting forensic evidence on the horrible murder page in the offices of St. John Richard Oland, a 69-year-old businessman and former executive director of Moosehead Breweries Ltd., who was beaten to death on July 6, 2011.

Photos show that Oland lies at his table, his skull is destroyed by repeated blows from a weapon that has never been found. In the upper half of the body there is a large pool of blood.

The only son of Holland, Dennis, 50, was tried for second-degree murder. This is Olanda’s second trial — the jury’s prosecution in his first trial in 2015 was canceled on appeal.

Prosecutors told the court that it was a “rage” caused by Dennis Oland’s serious financial problems. The defense says that Dennis, who steadily maintained his innocence, was the victim of a bad police investigation and rush to the court.

The two officers who attracted Smith's attention were Inspector Glen McCloskey, later the Deputy Chief of Police of St. John and now resigned, and Konst. Greg Oram. It was McCloskey’s second visit to the scene that day, and he admitted during the first trial that he was there in the second case simply because of “curiosity.”

McCloskey's behavior was the subject of an initial investigation by the New Brunswick Police Commission after another officer said that the deputy head demanded that he not inform the court about his presence at the crime scene. However, a more detailed request was disrupted after McCloskey retired.

Smith said that the two officers left when he ordered them.

The defense poses sharp questions to the police officers testifying in court, suggesting that there was not due diligence in terms of preventing contamination of the crime scene, as well as the inability to properly study areas such as a possible exit route from the back door and an office room.

On Friday, Smith did not cross-examine lawyers. He will step on the stage again later.

Two other policemen at the booth on Friday, con. Rob Carlisle and Const. Don Weber, described the work they did during an investigation in Orland under questioning by the Crown Prosecutor PJ Veniota.

Both were called into question to search for possible evidence, including everything that could have been a murder weapon, and they also collected video materials to monitor neighboring enterprises.

Carlisle said he was asked to watch a video from the pedestrian bridge from July 6, 2011, especially showing that all people in beige trousers are about 5 feet 10 inches tall and in a dark jacket.

“No names were mentioned,” Carlile told the court.

Dennis Oland was caught on camera on July 6, 2011 in beige pants and a brown jacket. He visited his father in the office on the same day and is the last famous person who saw Richard Olan alive.

Source link