A university student in France says she thought she would die after she had a serious allergic reaction to hair dye, which caused her head to swell.
Estelle, 19, asked Newsweek Do not disclose her name, bought a hair color dye in a supermarket two weeks ago so that she could turn from a blonde to a brunette.
After a few hours, she began to worry about how she applied the dye to her scalp when she began to itch. Without thinking too much about it, she went to the pharmacist to get a cream to combat irritation, but the worst is still to come.
Two days later she looked in the mirror and was shocked by what he saw. Her head is swollen beyond recognition.
“I had a light bulb,” she said. Le Parisien,
She was taken to a hospital where doctors discovered that she had an allergic reaction to paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a compound found in 90 percent of hair dyes and is known to carry allergic risks.
The circumference of her head is swollen from 22 inches to 24 inches.
Doctors gave Estella an adrenaline shot and kept her there for a night to observe, and she said Newsweek she thought she would die.
“Before you arrive at the hospital, you simply don’t know how long it will take for you to suffocate if you have time to get to the hospital or not,” she said.
She posted images of her Facebook test as a warning to others who may miss the fine print on hair coloring products.
“Now I'm fine. I really laugh at myself because of the incredible shape of my head.
“But my biggest message is to tell people to be more vigilant in such products, because the consequences can be fatal. And I want the companies that sell these products to make their warning clearer and more visible. ”
The concentration of chemical PPD in hair dyes has been regulated since 2013. The US National Health Service (NHS) guidelines say they are generally safe to use, while ensuring that safety instructions are followed.
Catherine Oliveres-Guti from the National Union of Dermatologists France Le Parisien that between two and three percent of the population may be allergic to the substance, and she often came across cases of "eczema, eyes, like a rabbit, and a swollen head."
“I’ve seen disfigured patients, but cases as extreme as Estella’s are rare,” she told the newspaper.