Welcome to the 275th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from last week:
- We completed our content at the end of the year with three more reviews of applications and game lists. Among them are the most controversial applications and games of 2018, the best applications of December 2018, and the best games of December 2018. The end of the year is a bit slow for apps and games, since everyone is planning a new year. However, there were still some great releases this month, and it would be interesting to relive some of the memories of this year. Check them out!
- The Apple App Store still makes more money than the Google Play Store. A report this week showed that more than 160 applications earned their first million dollars on the App Store, whereas on Google Play there were only 90. This study is a bit strange, though. On iOS, many games become viral even before they reach Android, so this is still an example of how developers primarily use iOS. The good news is that in 2018, iOS and Android for the first time achieved a success of a million dollars than in 2017.
- Last week, Google Duo downloaded a billion users. This is really good news. Google changes Hangouts and closes Allo for lack of success. However, Duo seems to have broken the pattern and actually became popular. The application also underwent major changes in 2018, including various useful new features. However, we still would like to see a daily or monthly list of active users, because this is usually the best indicator of the popularity of applications.
- The developers of HQ Trivia are working on a new game for 2019. It corresponds to the aesthetics of the live game show of the company, but this time with the feeling of “Wheel of Luck”. Players figure out the phrase as quickly as possible. Letters are revealed over time, and players get points for guessing the right things. He is currently not in beta on iOS. Those of you who have iOS devices can try the game right now. We still do not know when the release of Android will be released.
- Brawl Stars is already transferring money to a Supercell bank account. The game reportedly earned about $ 10 million in the first week. Popular quarrels earned about $ 3 million in the United States alone, and also surprisingly well in Japan. Some other statistics include the number one game to download in 20 countries, and it ranks among the top ten in another 29 countries. These are all great numbers, and Supercell has another hit on hand. Click the link to see all the statistics!
Angry BaBa is a fun little arcade game for evil people. You play as a barbarian and hit the rocks. Players count their hits for maximum thrust and distance. You get high scores for how far the rock goes along with what it hits while it flies through the air. The premise is simple, and almost everyone can play this game. However, it manages to be surprisingly nice. The game also includes upgraded items and skills, various game characters and some other minor elements of the game. It is also a one-off game, and it is rare in this arcade style game. It is not bad to kill a few minutes.
Mint Browser is a new browser from Xiaomi. This largely coincides with the Poco Launcher. It is super light, super fast and very effective. Developers can boast an installation size of about 10 MB, and this is quite a bit. Some other features include voice search, incognito mode, reading mode, mobile data storage options and more. This still requires some work, but most of the complaints we saw were related to peripheral functions, and not to the experience itself. This is a completely competent mobile browser for those who just want something simple. It is also completely free without any in-app purchases or advertisements (except those that you have already found on websites).
Seek Hearts is the latest Kemco RPG. This is a retro style jRPG with step-by-step combat mechanics, world maps and cities to explore, as well as the usual set of abilities and RPG mechanics. This is a lot like Super Nintendo role-playing games. You find various improvements for your main character and play through a decent storyline. There are some additions here and there. There is a free demo version on Google Play (the link to which is located above). The full version costs $ 7.99. There are several additional purchases in the app that are not mandatory. During our testing, he played well, although we completely get that $ 7.99. Too much for you.
Memoria Photo Gallery is a new gallery application. It boasts a high level of customization and some other worthy features. Some of the additional features include various theme options, an encrypted gallery repository, the ability to hide entire albums and some additional organizational functions. It compares greatly with QuickPic before it was purchased by Cheetah Mobile. In any case, the premium version removes ads and unlocks several premium features. The rest of the free and premium versions work almost the same. This is an amazingly competent gallery application, and new gallery applications rarely appear in 2018.
Lemmings is a popular series of puzzle games of the 1990s, and now it is also available for mobile devices. Players save lemmings by helping them complete different levels. The game has thousands of levels, lots of puzzles and traps, as well as a bunch of collectible items. There is also an element of social gamer and things like tournaments that will help keep the game fresh. This is a freemium game, and, like most freemium games, there is no ton of depth in a game or task. However, this should be a fun time killer for franchise fans. In old games, there is enough mechanics for fun, but it is definitely not quite like in old games.
If we missed any big Android apps or games, news or releases, let us know in the comments! You can also click here to check out our weekly podcast!