Sunday , January 24 2021

Abu Dhabi: Robert Kubica Returning from Hell



Return from hell! After eight years of purgatory, after a serious rally accident, Robert Kubica, hired by Williams next Thursday next season, will resume his career in Formula 1.

"The road was long, and I understand with great emotion that I will be next year on the grid among twenty Formula 1 racers," said Polish, Catholic ardent in front of a crowd of journalists, as announced by Claire Williams, on the Yas Marina circuit on the sidelines Abu Dhabi GP, denier of the season.

“Robert showed extraordinary qualities of courage and determination,” said senior assistant team of Williams, who was his backup driver last year.

The test results for eighteen months from Renault and then Williams were not necessarily very convincing. Kubica, who turns 34 on December 7, remains an outstanding director.

They "will serve us in the development of our next car," assured the daughter of Grove, the founder of the stable, Sir Frank Williams.

Outside testing, the last appearance of a Kraków-born goes back to GP … Abu Dhabi, in November 2010.

In the colors of Renault, he took the 5th place.

– Daddy's photo –

Many things have changed in the queen's class since February 6, 2011, when at Ronde di Andora Rally, not far from Genoa, Kubica fell victim to a violent car trip.

Anyone who participates in rallies to “become a more complete driver and have fun,” almost lost his right hand and even his life.

His emaciated limb, which he took at the expense of a very long rehabilitation, forced him to change his driving style, including the World Rally Championship (WRC) in 2014 and 2015.

This was not the first time that the pole was near death.

In 2003, he should have eighteen titanium screws in one right hand, collapsed after the accident of the vehicle, which he was a passenger.

In 2007, at the Canadian Grand Prix, he collided from the side with a wall at a speed of more than 230 km / h. Kubica cash 75G. He does this with a sprained ankle, due to which some say that the photo of Pope John Paul II is placed in a helmet.

A year later, he won the same Grand Prix, that his only success so far is in F1, and took 4th place in the 2008 season, where he turned out to be a world champion.

Before the drama Ronde di Andora Kubica arrived in Formula 1, to achieve the best time of winter tests, and the contract was waiting for him in Ferrari in 2012.

– Ocon without steering wheel –

Scuderia also offered to become a developer in 2019, but he chose to find the full track.

Polish could have been named in Williams in 2018 instead of Brazilian Felipe Massa, but he was supplanted by Russian Sergei Sirotkin, more generous personal sponsors (15 million euros per season against 10 million in Kubica).

The Muscovite, the last in the standings with one point, completely missed his season, and Kubica can now count on at least 13 million euros from the Polish oil refining group PKN Orlen, the choice has become easy.

His happiness holds back the small hopes of Esteban Okon, who was also more illusory about his chances of getting a place in Formula 1 in 2019, despite the fact that he was very successful for two and a half years

Canadian Lance Stroll will indeed take its place in the team of Racing Point Force India, which his father, the billionaire Lawrence Walk, bought in August at the head of a consortium of investors.

Ocon will become a reservist in Mercedes and now flies in 2020. Hoping his expectation is shorter than that of the returning Kubica.


Source link