Almost killed by a kiss: the kid fought for his life because of herpes
In Britain, a one-year-old child almost died because he was infected with a herpesvirus kiss. The child was to be hospitalized for four days. Parents now warn other people to kiss babies on the lips.
The little girl had purple eruptions everywhere.
A one-year-old girl from the North-English town of Darlington almost died because she was infected with herpes viruses. At first, the parents did not understand what their child was missing. “Kayla was crying so much that I knew that this could mean that she was in pain,” said The Daily Mail’s mother. "We were at home, and I was about to put her in the bath when I suddenly saw marks on her legs." According to the information, the child had violet rashes everywhere. “I was scared that my first thought was that it was somehow related to meningitis, because she had it before,” said the mother. However, in the hospital it turned out that the child was infected with herpes viruses.
Two out of three people are infected with herpesviruses
Health experts say two out of three people are infected with herpes viruses.
But most people who become infected with it never show signs and probably don’t know that they are infected. Therefore, herpes is often transmitted unnoticed.
Viruses are often active only under certain conditions, such as stress or strong sunlight, and cause herpes in the mouth, among other things.
Some people need special care. Adult herpes should be very careful when contacting young children.
Because even their kiss can be deadly for children, as shown by an older case from the USA.
Even little Kayla from England was in a life-threatening situation.
Infection could be fatal
According to the Daily Mail, doctors at the hospital found that the painful purple rash in Kayla was caused by the herpes simplex virus.
“The doctors told us that someone with a cold must have kissed her lips, and since the child’s immune system is not strong enough, she had a rash,” said the 22-year-old mother.
Her fiance was shocked and "could not believe that it was all because of the kiss."
The little girl had to stay in the hospital for four days, where she was treated with antibiotics.
Doctors noted that the child was lucky that the infection was fatal.
“If we didn’t go to the hospital quickly, it would be very dangerous if we lost it,” said the young mother.
According to parents, her daughter is still not completely recovered. A month after she was discharged from the clinic, she still had to take medicine daily and take a doctor once a week.
Parents of little Kayla are now turning to the public to warn other people about the risk.
“I just want other parents to know that you do not need to be physically sick to harm the child — you can only be a carrier of the virus and still have an influence on it,” said the mother.
According to a newspaper report, the virus can be transmitted to the mother in babies, either by kissing or in newborns, if she had genital herpes for the first time in the last six weeks of pregnancy.
The risk is significantly reduced if she was before pregnancy, because she transferred the antibodies necessary to fight him.
This is not the first time that parents, many of whom have lost their children, warn that strangers are not allowed to kiss children.
“Please do not kiss other people's children,” said Marian Nicholson of the Herpes Virus Association.
Treat herpes as early as possible.
If the infection is known, adults will recommend that medical professionals treat herpes as early as possible. But what helps against herpes?
Normally, medications are often used to suppress the multiplication of the virus. Infection does not always have to be treated with antiviral drugs.
Sometimes home remedies for herpes, such as manuka honey or tea tree oil. It can take up to two weeks from a herpes outbreak to healing. (Ad)