New South Wales correspondent David Elliott requested an urgent briefing after it became clear that the parole was allegedly sexually abused by a seven-year-old girl in Kogara in southern Sydney last week.
- 54-year-old Anthony Sampiri allegedly also stabbed a 46-year-old man who intervened in the assault
- Mr. Sampieri was arrested by witnesses before the authorities arrived and remained in the hospital.
- Police said the girl and the defendants did not know each other
Mr. Elliot said he was “deeply concerned” about the incident, which allegedly happened in a dance studio on Thursday evening.
54-year-old Anthony Sampiri allegedly attacked the girl in the toilets of the premises, before striking a 46-year-old man who intervened.
“This offender received parole and was subject to a number of stringent conditions,” Mr. Elliott said in a statement.
“Because community safety is paramount, I asked for urgent information about all the circumstances that led to the fact that the offender was granted parole.”
Mr. Sampieri was detained by witnesses before the authorities arrived.
He suffered facial injuries and bruises and was taken to St. George’s Hospital. He remains in the hospital and is not yet charged.
The man who was stabbed, got stitches in the same hospital and was released last week.
Witnesses told how the victim was “hysterical” after the incident.
Mohamad Hariri heard shouts before a man left the building and was helped by one of his friends.
“He was stabbed in the stomach, and he had a slanting back on his neck that reaches his ear,” Hariri said.
Police said the girl and the accused did not know each other.
Superintendent Julian Griffiths also said that the accused has no connection with the dance studio and called the incident "isolated."
He said that a strike had been created to sort out the matter, and said that the well-being of the young girl was of paramount importance in the investigation.
crime law and justice
sexual offenses –